HomeAbout MeMy EtsyTutorialsContact Me

Sunday, January 30, 2011

My First Tutorial

Hello my dear Friends.

As I mentioned yesterday, I was working on a tutorial for the little flowers in the salt-shaker vase. Well, it is ready.

So, here we go!

First get all your supplies together.

You will need everything in the picture below:
 

- Modge Podge
- Tacky glue
- A toothpick
- A foam brush
- Book pages/music sheets
- Corsage pins or larger pins (I like to use white pins)
- Flower punches in 2 sizes ( I used Marvy Uchida punches sold at Michaels)
- A small salt shaker
 

Cover your book pages (which shouldn't be to old or they will be too brittle for this) with a coat of Modge Podge on both sides. Make sure you let each side dry completely before trying to punch out the flowers or the paper will just rip.
 

I used two different older books with different shades of colored pages. Punch out small and large flowers from your pages.
 
 
Take a pin and push it through the center of the small flower first and then push the pin through the large flower. Be sure to use a toothpick to add a drop of tacky glue to the center of the flowers before pushing them all the way up the pin. This will make sure your flowers stay in place. And that is all.

 
Now you just have to make enough to fill your little saltshaker 'vase'. I found the shaker above in a thrift store on one of my many treasure searches. The pins were a bit too short for this one, so I added a piece of old book page into the bottom of the shaker to give the pins something to stand on.
 

This is another way you could display your beautiful blossoms! The pins were yet again too short, so I filled the bottom of the shaker with some pearls from a previous project.

 
Last but not least, these little gems were made from sewing pins and an envelope I had received in the mail last week! You could use any other paper (different colors, different textures...) and if you prefer different colored pins. I also made the cute little 'chocolate' pin cushion above!

I hope you will enjoy making these as much as I have enjoyed making this tutorial!

Have a peaceful and creative day,

Karen B.

27 comments:

  1. GREAT JOB KAREN!!!

    Very clear instructions, and good pics.
    Cute ideas of what to put in shaker too.
    Adorable pin cushion you made!!

    Cannot wait to show my friends your tutorial.
    Thanks for sharing with us.
    Keep up the good work!

    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute Karen, love your ideas, simple and fun, Hugs Marilou

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen,

    Thanks for your sweet message.

    The flowers are very beautiful. With this tutorial, anyone can make it!

    Sweet of you!

    Dear greetings from Thea ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is WONDERFUL!!!! I just LOVE your tutorial Karen!!! You are such a natural ~ the photos are perfect, your list of supplies and the finished pics are too, I love these sweet pins!! I'll be sure to send everyone over to see...don't you just love blogging and sharing? hugs and love, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I follow Barbara Jean and she mentioned this post. I love this idea. So dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Karen,
    Thanks so much for sharing with us! I just love the flowers. Very clear instructions and photos are so appreciated.
    Have a great week!
    Blessings,
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photos and directions are wonderful, thanks for sharing.....bought a punch this past week and have already started a project!!! hugs....cleo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness ~
    They are soooo cute!
    thank you for the tutorial!

    xoxo
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done Karen!! (why do I always call you Sue? ;)
    I couldn't wait to get home and check it out...you've done a wonderful job!! I really want to make those salt shaker thingys - what a great idea :)
    You are officially the first blog I follow, I think the addiction is about to begin :)

    xo Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very good tutorial. I already have everything to make this, and the best is that the corsage pins -- my grandmother's hat pins -- will make it a very special little gift for a niece! I'm very happy. I will check back with you frequently!! Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tutorial Karen, loved the tip about Mod Podging the paper to give it a solid base before punching...well done and thankyou for sharing.
    Kind Regards
    judith
    http://creativestudio10.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the tutorial. Great job! Can't wait to go thrifting for salt and pepper shakers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your flowers. Can't wait to get the supplies and make some. Very good tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely adorable! I have a huge collectio of tiny little salt shakers and I can't wait to make some of these beauties with them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are adorable--you are so clever! Thank you for sharing your tutorial--I can't wait to try this!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. congratulations!
    so cute!
    and so easy to do!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, Karen! I'm designer here in brazil. I loved this post! Your blog is so beautiful and charmous!Iam following you! kiss: Carol
    www.blogcarolcarneiro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your pincushion and tiny vases are lovely. I made some of the vases with flowers for Christmas this year. Thanks for sharing the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely project. The tip about Mod Podge paper is invaluble. Thanks for sharing these tips. I am doing this today since I actually have all the supplies on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Karen,
    This is so beautiful. I love the idea and can not wait to try making one for myself.
    Blessings,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful little things. ♥ This is a must do.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello, My name is Pat. This is my first time entering your drawing and the first time seeing the beautiful
    things you've made. I am a retired senior citizen and enjoy making items for my family members. As they enjoy receiving items that I've made. I would be so honored if I were one of the winners in your drawing and hope it is not to late to enter. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete