HomeAbout MeMy EtsyTutorialsContact Me

Monday, August 1, 2011

At First Disapointed But Not Anymore ~ A New Tutorial


Hello my dear friends,

I woke up at 6 am yesterday morning and since it was a grey and rainy morning and I had no intention to venture out of the house or wanted to spend my day tidying my craft room (I know I really should have), I decided I wanted to create a new tutorial for you in which I was going to recycle small tins. I sat down in my dining room at the big window for about 2 hours, wrote the instructions as a post, saved it and then worked on the actual creating part but unfortunately things just didn't want to look the way I had imagined them, so I gave up on the idea for the moment. Eventually I will return to it and work on it more another time. You never know, it might work out fine the next time round.

I must admit I was quite disappointed with myself that my idea didn't work, so I just had to try something different, hoping it would work out this time. The basic idea stayed the same but I decided to use different materials then I had chosen the first time and I think it worked out fine.

So here is a new tutorial for you ...

... a vintage jelly form pincushion tutorial.

 
You will need the following:

- Small vintage jelly form
- Hammer and nail
- Permanent marker
- Wire
- Pliers
- Scissors
- Fabric
- Tacky glue
- Fibre fill
- Needle and thread
- Lace, ribbon, pieces if old doilies
- Buttons, old piece of jewelry or anything else you would like to use to embellish it with
- Old tag or tag cutter and tea-stained card
- Fine marker

Let's start now ...
 
 
You can use a jelly form or even a little tart tin if you like for this tutorial.
 
 
Now take your jelly form and with the permanent marker make a small dots on either side of it where you want to have your holes for the handle. Then using your hammer and a nail, carefully punch the holes through the tin but make sure it's not too big.

 
Cut a piece of wire approx 16 inches long. I used thicker old wire for the handle. 

 
Bend you wire into a handle shape with about 4 inches left on either side.

 
Insert your wire from the inside out of your jelly mold.

 
Bend the straight end around the handle part and with small pliers curl the end of the wire.

 
Now take a square of fabric about 8 by 8 inches and place a good bunch of fibre fill in the centre of it.
This is the part where you will have to "play" and see how much fibre fill you will need so you are happy with the "cushion" part and  it will fit your jelly form (as you can see my fabric has creases from "playing" with the amount of stuffing).
 
 
Gather the corners of your fabric first and then start gathering the sides of your fabric together.
 

Pull the fabric into your hand until you are happy with the shape and firmness of your "cushion".
 
 
Using a piece of string wrap around the cushion, tie off and cut off the excess. Trim the fabric below the string but not too much.

 
Now place your cushion into the jelly form and using your tacky glue glue in place by pulling the cushion away from the form and dabbing a bit of glue onto the tin and then letting the cushion fall back into place. Be careful not to use too much glue or it will come out at the top of your pincushion and spoil it.
 
 
This is where the fun part starts - embellishing.You can use as much or as little as you wish ~ it's really up to you. I used a small piece of an old doilie and hand stitched it to the cushion.

 
Then using my tacky glue I glue tea stained lace to the top of the jelly form.

 
With this pincushion the motto was " less is more" and I wanted to use something really different for the embellishment so I used a few old Monopoly pieces ~ thimble and iron ~ which I held in place with a stronger glue. You can used an old brooch or vintage buttons ~ what ever your heart likes.

 
 
As a final touch I added a double bow made from some crinkled seam binding and a tag made from tea stained card. A few long pins and a vintage button and there we go! Finished!

 
 
 
 
 
I hope you will enjoy this new tutorial that I have created for you. I do work very hard to ensure I explain everything to my best ability so you will have a wonderful result. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to e-mail me and ask! I am sorry if my photos are not the best at times ~ I take all my photos whilst I am creating which sometimes it is very tricky with sticky hands.

I hope you are all well.

Have a peaceful and creative day,

Karen B.

20 comments:

  1. So sweet and lovely again.
    I also have some pincishions (thanks to you) and every time they are diffent and unique.
    Thank you and love,
    Agnes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay. Now I know what I'll be making next!
    Thank you!
    (is it weird that i have all of that stuff on hand? please say 'no'.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful Karen!!!! You know how I love pincushions....I have a weakness for them! Lovely tutorial sweet friend, hugs and love, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful!! I love the little charms!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Karen,
    Very sweet piece and great instructions!!

    blessings
    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Karen. Found your blog recently and just tried one of your other tutorials. Hope I did it justice!

    http://pinkhousepages.blogspot.com/2011/08/workbench-wednesday-befores-and-done.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness Karen that is so precious!! Your tutorial is wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for this wonderful tutorial...I initially found it on Pinterest. I made one of my own and blogged about it today!!
    Your blog is just delightful and so full of inspiration. It's been a pleasure to visit you. I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is SOOOO precious!!! I just love your tiny treasures!
    Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Le escribo desde Cali, Valle Colombia. Mil y mil gracias por los tutoriales, voy a tratar de practicarlos, usted y sus manos hacen cosas hermosas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your pincushions. Thanks for the tutorial. I have some old teacups and silver pieces from my family and would love to make one for my daughter and daughter-in-law. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Muchas gracias por este tutorial. He hecho mi propia version de este alfilitero y la he puesto en mi blog con un enlace al suyo, para que todas puedan disfrutar de su blog, sus ideas y sus tutoriales.
    Un abrazo.
    http://lascreacionesdemivida.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oi Karen, como vai? Parabéns pelos trabalhos lindos e por dividir tudo isso com a gente.:)Amo alfineteiros !
    Beijos e fique com Deus,

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! I am going to bookmark your blog and I'll be back again to be inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your crinkled vintage looking ribbons you use on these. How do you accomplish that look? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry about the question about the crinkled lace, just saw your tutorial...

    ReplyDelete