HomeAbout MeMy EtsyTutorialsContact Me

Monday, August 15, 2011

Homemade Tattered Bird Cage

Hello my dear friends,

I did manage to have some time over the weekend to create which made me really happy. I had a few ideas swimming around in my head and one of them was to make a little bird cage. I was inspired by the old Hendrix bird cages you see on eBay alot these days ~ they are so beautiful but costly too. Most of all I really wanted to create something.

I am so fortunate to have a craft room with all sorts of treasures hiding away just waiting to be found again, so early Saturday morning when everybody was still sleeping I gathered what I needed and sat at my dining room window ...

... trying to ignore the mountain of dirt and mess ...

... and created this...


... tattered bird cage!



I had the idea a few weeks ago and had noted it down in my "little book". I knew exactly how I wanted it to look like when it was finished.



I used a tattered metal plate and an old candle holder for the base.




I am so happy with the outcome of this project!! A few months ago I tried to make a bird cage and I totally failed trying to do so. Nothing worked at all then but this time it did!




I used a small piece of driftwood that I had found about 12 years ago on a beach on Vancouver Island for the swing.


The construction is very basic ~ 8 long pieces of wire and two shorter pieces and that was almost everything already.



The little tattered plate I chose was perfect since it had a punched out design ~ it couldn't have been better!



I used my small wire pliers to curl the ends giving it the final touch.

The cage was a bit tricky at one stage but in the end it all came together and worked out the way I wanted it to ~ mission completed and me ... very happy!

Now the only thing I need for this creation is a bird to call it home but that will be for a future post to share with you.

I hope you are all well.

Have a peaceful and creative day,

Karen B.

22 comments:

  1. What a great tutorial and a lovely place for a wee bird to live! Thank you for sharing this with us.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!! It all came together beautifully!

    Lou Cinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I absolutely love this. What did you use to attach the plate to the candle holder?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your little birdcage is precious. Congratulations on making your vision come to life. Wonderful week to you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cool!
    What I like about you is that you go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen,
    I LOVE this!!!! I have tried before too, without much success, but you have encouraged me to try again!!
    Thanks for telling us the how to's. You are so generous to do that!

    blessings sweet girl

    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful bird cage. Love your nests as well.
    It is such a kindness that you share how to make some of your treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Karen. Your bird cage is just WONDERFUL!! I love that you sketched out your idea first...and the results are beautiful! Thank you for always sharing your creativity sweet friend, hugs and love, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great job you did on this cage and what neat things you used that you already had.

    It turned out wonderful.

    Hugs

    FredaB

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Karen, I love your birdcage! It turned out just great!
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen,
    That is so charming. I loved watching your process!
    Fondly,
    Suz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Karen

    Firstly congratulations on winning Rhonda's giveaway - as that's how I found your blog!!

    Your birdcage is exquisite.
    I appreciate your tutorial - clear instructions - so very generous of you.

    I think you should be submitting all your wonderful creations to Stampington, I'm sure they would love to publish them all.

    If your feel like a cuppa do pop over and see me - I promise I'll get out my prettiest teacups and make you very welcome!!

    I'm so glad I found your lovely blog - and may I mention your tutorial and put your button in my side bar for others to visit you?


    Shane :))

    ReplyDelete
  13. How sweet your birdcage is, very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love your bird cage! What a wonderful creation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This post has resurfaced over on Pinterest and many of us are loving it. Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. build your own bird cage very nice to see that you are doing for some good about making your own bird cage bridles showing her best in the end i like it very much dear

    ReplyDelete
  17. I Happened upon your tut through Pintrest! I alter wooden birds and was looking for something vintagy that I can create to showcase them! Thank you so much for sharing. Im curious as to the adhesives you use with metals and of course the plate.
    smallstarshines@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is so cute! I'd love to make one! Great idea!! Found you on pinterest.
    patti

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ironic that I should come across this post today. I was at a local craft store this morning, saw a small wire birdcage (that cost way too much), took a picture, and decided I would try and replicate it.

    Your birdcage is very sweet. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. absolutely adorable, thank you so much for sharing your tutorial.
    Deb
    Ramshackle Romance

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this. Could you tell me what guage of wire you used for your birdcage? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete